The International Federation of Standards Users is an independent, not-for-profit international association of
national organizations for the application of standards, and
companies, professional and trade associations, academia, conformity assessment bodies, consultancies and governmental agencies, that are
concerned with the use of standards.
NOTE: IFAN does not include associations whose membership is concerned with the end use of products and services complying with standards.
IFAN was founded in 1974 when eleven national standards organizations met in Paris for an International Conference.
The objectives of IFAN, inter alia, include the following: -
The promotion of uniform implementation of standards without deviation and develop solutions to standards users’ problems without itself drawing up standards.
- The consolidation of standards users’ interests and views on all aspects of standardization and conformity assessment, and to cooperate with international and regional standardizing bodies (e.g. ISO, IEC, ITU, CEN, CENELEC, COPANT, etc.) in order to communicate user views to these organizations.
- The promotion of networking in the field of international standardization and conformity assessment.
IFAN is open to the following five categories of members that deal with the use of standards:
1. National members are national standards user bodies.
2. Corporate members are companies, professional and trade associations, academia, conformity assessment bodies, consultancies and governmental agencies
3. Developing national membersare national standards user bodies with limited economic resources.
4. Prospective corporate members are any companies, professional and trade associations, academia, conformity assessment bodies, consultancies, and governmental agencies that participate in IFAN activities with a view to becoming corporate members.
5. Associate membersare individuals who may, on account of their standards professional knowledge and expertise, participate in the work of IFAN as individual experts.
IFAN Membership details
National Membership and developing National Membership
For Corporate Membership and Prospective Corporate Membership
For Associate Membership, please contact the Secretary: